My Personal & Professional Branding

It is important to get a feel for the branding of my personal and professional identity in order to incorporate it with the structure and technical aspect of building my website. I have had a YouTube Channel and instagram account for a while now where you can already see my personal and professional identity. My online presence has been pretty scarce at the moment, perhaps that is to do with me growing and moving on to new things. However, as a natural image maker and expressive soul, I have always been exploring how I want to portray myself to others online. Here is what I have at the moment:

 

For my profile photo I used the clipping mask in photoshop to remove the background so that I could add a gradient behind it to fit in with my branding. I want my online image to be consistent and easily recognisable so people can say "oh yeah thats Beths account!". Editing this image was quite tricky because of my hair which is made up of lots of fine and wispy lines rather than a solid shape, but I managed to finish it very well. Without me asking, my friend who follows me on instagram said that my profile photo stands out whenever she looks at who views her story, which I think is a really good sign since I would like to be recognised.

-


At the moment I have 2 different instagram accounts; one for design, and one for food and animal rights.  I mention my social media since this will be linked to my website, and I want it to be relevant. Each of my instagram accounts holds 2 of my biggest interests and values - design and animal rights. I'm not fully sure what I will include in my website yet since I have these two separate interests. As a visual communicator I know it makes the most sense to be concise and relevant, so over the next few days or week I will be brainstorming what I think feels most purposeful to me and help me in my career beyond university.

-

For the highlight covers on instagram I created both the shapes myself and also downloaded some free png vector files. I made them appropriate to what the story highlight contains. For example the paper bag for photos of vegan takeaways i've had, and the symbol of #AFOTS for photos and information on Animals First on the Second which is a fast against animal slaughter.


Below is the branding for my YouTube Channel.


Websites like https://lingojam.com/FontsForInstagram allow you to choose a different font to copy and paste into your instagram bio (and photo captions too!) so I have chosen the one that matches the rest of my branding the most so my image is consistent. Here you can see the way I have chosen a font in my instagram bio to look similar to the font in my branding. You aren't able to use just any font within instagram, so I chose one that is most visually similar. 
_

I have found it hard to know where to start and stop in terms of my professional and personal branding. Do I want them to be separate, do I want them to overlap, or do I want them to fully merge? Doing the Twenty Statement Test in the Identity and Difference module, and looking at professional and personal identity with Annie in the Employability Lectures has helped me understand how I wish to present myself. My gut instinct is to have them overlap. I would struggle to have them totally separate because I want who I am as a person to show through whilst also being professional. I just want to be me. I want my friendly and fun nature to shine through the work I do. I desire to relate to people.










Comments

Popular Posts